Friday 30 April 2010

Finally

So, I have finally started a blog. After meaning to do so for about three years, I shall be doing something with my time other than pressing the refresh button on Facebook and wincing every time I check my online banking.

What shall I write about? I don't really know to be honest. Mostly probably a mixture of travel and the arts with a side of randomly generated political opinion.

For those of you who I haven't spoken to for a while, or don't know at all, I am currently about half way through an internship with the European Music Council in their Bonn office. Bonn, it turns out, is not the most exciting place in the world, or Germany, or even within the near vicinity - God only knows why it was chosen as the, albeit temporary, capital of West Germany after the Second World War: it's a bit like announcing that the 2012 Olympics will be held in Largs rather than London.

But it's pretty, in summer anyway, and whilst it seems to be resting on a permanent Sunday afternoon, I have come to appreciate some of the small things this place has to offer. It may be the hometown of Schumann and Beethoven (and if you forget that fact then Herr Ludwig's edifice can be found on almost every street corner as a subtle reminder), but the person I have come to admire most in my time here is the guy who sells 'every flavour of crêpe' for €1. Bargain. There is also the girl who gets on my train quite often and who appears to be living life in her own little Country and Western Club - she really knows how to move those hips like a cowgirl.

I also like the fact that almost every day, I pass a black vintage car that has a female mannequin draped over the back seats, primed in position to play a French horn. It has never moved from its parking spot, but sometimes she does... Next door is a window that is decked out as a mini house for three cats, complete with dressing tables and bunk beds.

Some people describe Bonn as the most northern Mediterranean city because of its street café culture. I can't be certain, but part of me wonders whether these people are the same ones who seem to think that Maryhill in Glasgow deserves the title of 'Venice of the North' because it has a couple of canals... 

Anyway, I'm going to keep this first post short and sweet, and I must stop anyway as Tyra is about to chose America's Next Top Model, and it's a moment that I can't miss (seriously - this is what it has come to). 

Hopefully I will keep this blog going, unlike the many others that I have left half abandoned! Thanks for reading (if indeed anyone has), and see you soon.

3 comments:

  1. You have Blog! I'm much better at these than facebook for some reason. Sounds like you're having a really amazing time then?! All I can say is don't knock Tyra, it is indeed a significant moment when ANTM is crowned.

    Rebecca (nycos/Edinburgh/Manchester!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite like Largs. It's pretty when the sun sets.

    But no, you're right, it's no olympic venue.


    xJulia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rebecca!
    Maybe 'amazing' is putting a bit too much of a positive spin on it, but it's nae too bad. I bought about a kilo of Milka today for €2, so who's complaining, eh!?

    Julia, I'm from round about the Largs area and it is definitely no Olympic venue - there isn't even a proper beach for volleyball. Why were you there!?

    ReplyDelete